Thứ Ba, 22 tháng 10, 2013

ASUS Ultrabook S400CA-DB51T 14-Inch Deals

By Ipse Dixit "Ipse Dixit" (An Undisclosed Region, This Century)
This review is from: ASUS Ultrabook S400CA-DB51T 14-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Personal Computers)
Just got my new Asus notebook and I am pleasantly surprised. It seems to be as well crafted as an Apple MacBook Pro (for 1/3 the price) and while I'm still getting used to Windows 8, I'm not hating it so far, though it will take some getting used to. Fortunately, the desktop icon gets you to familiar Windows 7 turf. Unfortunately, getting Windows XP to run in a virtual environment for some of my older software seems like an impossibility without purchasing Windows 8 Pro, as well as an XP license - a major hassle that I will forgo as I can access such programs on my desktop running Windows 7.

The machine is fast and for the price point, it really seems like a good buy. The touch screen is very cool, but my instincts are to use the keyboard and mouse pad - both of which are responsive and have a nice feel. After lugging around an ~8 lb. Lenovo ThinkPad, this machine is going to be a lot easier on my shoulder (~4.4 lbs.).

Getting up and running went very smoothly. The machine does not have a DVD drive, but I was able to copy my MS Office 2010 and Adobe Pro discs onto a flash drive and install them off that without a hitch. Haven't attempted to install my Oracle software, which is always a bear, so I have something to look forward to.... The machine comes pre-loaded with many superfluous "Apps" - a lot of which seem geared for kids, but it seems pretty easy to delete them. There are also some programs pre-installed, but not as many as I am accustomed to on new machines and they appear to be necessary for the machine's operation so I am reluctant to delete.

Haven't played with all the bells and whistles, but so far I'm pleased with my purchase.

 By Robert M (Washington, D.C.) -
This review is from: ASUS Ultrabook S400CA-DB51T 14-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Personal Computers)
This laptop seems fairly solid and well made. Maybe not a macbook pro but not too far off.
Seems fast enough for most tasks including watching HD video which it handles without issues (as it should given the spec)
I think it would be a great laptop for students on a budget but want something that will last.
I'm used to Dell Latitudes and IBM Thinkpads and while it's not quite up to that level of ruggedness it is better than most other laptops I've seen and held. It also weighs less than the Dells and Thinkpads I've had.
The RJ45 Ethernet jack is built into the right side and has a little flip down bottom which I suspect will be susceptible to breaking off

If I could change things:
- keyboard backlight would be nice
- a hardware volume control - takes two fingers to change the volume
- move the indicator lights to under the screen. where they are now they are blocked by my right wrist
- had an options for Windows 7. Windows 8 is much worse than I expected and I didn't have high hopes to start with.
- it shipped with a install CD for Windows ( not sure if anyone still does this)

UPDATE 7/30/2013: Using it outdoors today, the lack of anti-reflective coating was, not surprisingly, very noticeable. That is the trade-off with a glossy display like this one has. You get crisper text and more color pop in images but the display reflects every light in the room.
I'm still thrilled at the fast wake-up from sleep time that the machine provides.
By Eric Mickelsen "Eric M" (Seattle, Washington) -
This review is from: ASUS Ultrabook S400CA-DB51T 14-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Personal Computers)
I've had this ASUS ultrabook (S400CA-DB51T) for just under a week now, but it's exactly what I needed. I wanted something versatile but inexpensive for coding, writing and media, and I looked closely at almost every similar laptop on the market. After a couple of months of searching, this one stood out as striking the right balance. It's light and small enough to carry around comfortably in hand or a cramped backpack, and comfortable for typing on the couch or in the car. The boot times and responsiveness are good enough to get some work done in spare minutes. The keyboard doesn't have very much key travel, but is a comfortable size - larger models seem to just add a numpad since this is already the ideal size for two human hands. I hate touchpads, but this is the second best I've used behind the MacBook pro, and feels similar, but not quite as soft. It doesn't cut it as a mobile gaming platform unless you can find a low-glare environment and bring a mouse, and/or play more casual games. The screen is too glossy for direct sunlight, but high contrast enough to be usable in most bright environments. I think it strikes a great balance between performance, portability and battery life. Overall, it feels well-built and is fun to use. I have a hard time imagining a more well-rounded system at this price point.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét